What is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu / BJJ / Gracie Jiu Jitsu?
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (sometimes called BJJ or Gracie Jiu Jitsu) is a grappling martial art that focuses on taking your opponent down to the ground and applying submissions.
How do we know it’s effective? Just watch the video to the right (or below on mobile) of this paragraph –>
In the early 90s, the Brazilian Gracie Family shocked the world when Royce Gracie won UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) 1, 2, and 4 – which at the time was a no-weight class, no holds-barred, martial arts competition that that pitted all martial arts disciplines against each other. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu dominated Karate, Taekwondo, and many other striking martial arts.
Today, BJJ continues to be the most effective martial art in the world—essential learning for professional MMA (mixed martial arts) fighters. The type of people who can’t afford to waste time learning unrealistic, untested techniques in the cage. You shouldn’t either. Jiu Jitsu beats brute strength with technique and leverage.
Why Come to Fight Prime’s BJJ Madison Classes?
We’ll give you a few reasons:
- Learn the most effective martial art in the world in a safe environment
- Burn fat and calories while becoming more athletic
- Become a complete martial artist by complementing striking with grappling
- Defend yourself from opponents of any size or strength
- Change your life through profound character building that happens when you learn Jiu Jitsu.
- Boost your confidence and sense of self-worth
- Have fun with friends and get to know some great people!
So, what is an Adult BJJ Class like?
Class length is typically one hour or 1.5 hours. The structure BJJ Madison classes is:
- Warmup – Fundamental Jiu Jitsu Movements and Drills (15 min)
- Technique – Learn how to apply techniques and leverage with a cooperative partner (20-45 min)
- Rolling – Practice applying techniques you learned in class with some resistance(15-25 min)
Who is/are the instructor(s)?
Fight Prime’s head Jiu Jitsu instructor is Gabriel H. Gabriel’s lineage: Helio Gracie -> Hickson Gracie -> Luiz Claudio -> Thales Blaso – > Gabriel H. Here are some of Gabriel’s credentials and certifications:
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Black Belt
- Wisconsin Law Enforcement Officer
- Defensive & Arrest Tactics (DAAT)
- Master Instructor Trainer (MIT)
- Use of Force Scenario Trainer (Redman Actor)
- American Heart Associate Basic Life Support Certication
- 2nd Degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do
Fight Prime’s morning BJJ classes, evening no-gi classes, and competition classes are led by Bill Dresser.
- 10+ Years experience in BJJ
- 4-stripe Purple Belt in BJJ
- Undefeated amateur MMA competitor
- Jiu Jitsu Tournament Referee
- SAFESport Certification
- Head Up Youth Sports Concussion Certification
Fight Prime’s Saturday BJJ classes are taught by Jeff Lee.
- 12+ Years Experience in BJJ
- Black Belt in BJJ
- Black Belt in Kempo Karate
- Black Belt in American Freestyle Karate
- Orange Belt in Judo
- First Aid CPR Certification
- Bachelors Degree in Exercise Science
And where is FightPrime located?
Our BJJ Madison classes are taught just off the beltline’s Park St. exit. That’s a 15-20 minute drive from Madison, Fitchburg, Middleton, Oregon, Monona, Stoughton, or Verona, WI.