Frequently Asked Questions:
Click or touch the blue “+” sign to expand each section question and see the anwer to the question.
"Who are Fight Prime's classes PERFECT for?"
- Madison Area professionals looking get back in shape or learn self defense.
- Parents who want to bully-proof their child and help them to learn focus, discipline, and confidence.
- Goal-oriented people looking to improve their lives through discipline, fitness, and athelticism.
"Who are Fight Prime's classes NOT right for?"
- Students with high class load schedules and changing commitments
- Individuals leaving the Madison area within 2-3 months or seasonal training.
- Non-goal oriented (skills, growth, fitness) individuals (e.g. “just along with a friend”)
- Traveling professionals with frequent and irregular travel schedules.
- Non Madison area residents who will need to commute more than 40 minutes to get to Fight Prime.
- People with injuries that are still healing. Wait till the doctor clears you.
"How much do your classes cost?"
Fight Prime has over 8 different flexible membership plans to help make us the most affordable option in the area. On top of this, we run monthly specials to give you even more value. Before you decide which payment plan is right for you, schedule a trial lesson with us by calling 608-665-2155 or sending us an e-mail.
"Can I try a class before I sign up?"
Absolutely! Ask one of our staff members about trial classes! Often, we run promotions that allow you to try a few different classes and receive free gear from Fight Prime!
"What if more than one person in my family wants to sign up? Is there a discount?"
Yes, there is a discount! If more than one individual in your immediate family wants to sign up, we offer a discount on both enrollment and the monthly rate! Don’t forget to mention the family discount to one of our staff members when you’re signing up!
"How does your membership work? Do I pay per class?"
Membership at Fight Prime includes unlimited access to our entire schedule of classes for a set monthly rate. You can come as frequently as you like, but we recommend attending at least of 2 classes per week. Read about our “Adult Classes” or “Kids Classes” from the main drop-down navigation to see which martial arts class you’d like to try.
"Can I do more than one martial art?"
Absolutely, many of our members do! However, we urge you to listen to your body to minimize soreness and over-training 😀 For most people, 2-3 times a week makes for a very sustainable training schedule.
"Where is the schedule for [insert martial art]? Do I have to submit my information?
To see the schedule online:
- Select the martial art you’re interested in from our main navigation.
- You’ll need to enter your information into the fields and click “See The Schedule” or “Get Instant Access” to be redirected to our schedule page.
If you don’t wish to provide your information online, you can call us on the phone or e-mail us or visit us in person to receive a copy the schedule. We’ll just need your name and a good e-mail to send it over 🙂 Here’s our business number: 608-665-2155
“Will I get hurt?”
Any physical activity can lead to injury – and mixed martial arts are no exception – but because we place such care in keeping you safe…
We hardly EVER see any injuries in our martial arts classes.
We guide you through the perfect way to do each technique. That way you don’t do it in a way that harms your body.
We also show you how to stretch properly – reducing your chances for injury even more.
And you go at your own pace. That way you don’t force your body to do anything it wasn’t capable of.
Our martial arts students who learn quickly are just as valued as the ones who need to slow down, and learn at a different pace.
"Should I get in shape before starting classes?"
We get this one a lot. 😀 The answer is: absolutely not. Our classes are designed to get you in shape! Many of our students didn’t play sports and couldn’t keep a regular fitness routine before finding us! Today, they are in excellent shape because Fight Prime provides engaging classes and a supportive community that keeps them coming back for more. The important thing is to just to take the first step and start. So don’t worry if you’re not athletic already. We will get you there!
"Where is your gym located?"
The facility is just off the beltline’s Park St. exit. That’s a 15-20 minute drive from Madison, Fitchburg, Middleton, Oregon, Monona, Stoughton, or Verona, WI.
"How big are classes and the space?"
We typically have about 10-20 students in our classes depending on the day. Morning classes tend to have less people in them. We have a relatively large matspace, just drag the 360 virtual photo below and take a look:
"Why should I join your gym vs. others?"
To create students for life, we’re laser-focused on delivering the highest-quality learning experience. We do this by:
- Havining throrough and defined curricula and stages of progression in all our classes.
- Having a team of the most knowledgeable instructors in the region.
Because of this, our students experience profound life-long changes: fat-loss, increased confidence, athleticism, and discpline. But don’t take our word for it…
“I'm all ready for my first class! What should I bring?”
We have a few recommendations for your first day:
- Bring athletic shorts or pants, and a t-shirt or athletic shirt you’re comfortable moving around in. Shoes will come off before you step on the mat area.
- Arrive about 15 minutes early for class so we can get you checked in and make sure we have the correct waivers signed.
- Take a quick tour around the facility with a Fight Prime Staff member so you know where changing rooms, rest rooms, and storage areas are.
- If there’s time left over, use it to do some stretching on the mat before the instructor starts your class.
“What should I expect in class? / How does class ususally go?"
Most of our martial arts classes are structured the following way:
- Warmups or Drills (15-20 min)
- Technique Demonstration (10-15 min)
- Technique Practice (20-40 min)
- Practice with Resistance (15-20 min)
What equipment do I need for classes?
We don’t expect our first-time students to have all of their gear when they try classes, so we often run “givaway” trial specials that include some essentials you’ll need. Just ask a staff member for details. Once you join as a member, here are some things you’ll want for your chosen martial art:
BJJ (Jiu Jitsu) and/or Judo:
- Uniform (Gi)
- White belt
- Rashguard (long or short sleeve)
- Gloves & Hand Wraps
- Shin Guards
- White Sash
- MMA gloves or Handwraps
Can I use or buy my own equipment?
Absolutely you can use equipment you already have! If you’re planning on buying equipment, there’s some advantages to buying gear from Fight Prime:
- You’ll pay the same as Amazon for most things, with no shipping fee or waiting for delivery
- You can try things on and know they fit for sure before you buy.
- You’re supporting a small business instead of an online mega-retailer ✊